Hand Held Machinery Safe Use of Brushcutters and Trimmers
Price on enquiry
1-day or 2-days
Integrated Assessment - Practical test with one-to-one verbal questioning
Brushcutters and trimmers are popular tools across the agriculture, horticulture, landscaping and grounds maintenance industries. They save time and work efficiently in tricky terrains and situations, but they also have the potential to be one of the most dangerous machines in common use. This Lantra accredited training course helps novice users recognise and reduce those dangers. You will learn how to optimise performance and carry out routine maintenance. You will be able to use the trimmer (strimmer) safely and with confidence, understanding the relevant regulations and safety requirements. It covers pre-use checks and maintenance, identification of controls and instruments, and operating the machine to cut or trim to the capacity of the machine.
By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Produce a site-specific risk assessment for trimmer and brushcutter operations
- Identify the necessary personal protective equipment required
- Identify the health and safety features required on a trimmer and brushcutter
- Detect defects on the equipment and decide which the operator can remedy and which
require a service engineer’s attention
- Carry out correctly all routine maintenance in accordance with the machine
manufacturer’s instruction book
- Prepare the equipment for use with the correct fuel/oil mix
- Start the trimmer/brushcutter from both hot and cold start in a safe manner
- Carry out pre-cutting checks
- State the possible hazards/risks when carrying out maintenance or operational tasks
- Maintain the trimmer/brushcutter and cutting heads in a safe and efficient working
- Adjust the equipment for safe and comfortable operation
- Select the correct cutting head for the relevant operating conditions
- Operate the equipment having regard for the safety of the
public, property and environmental factors
- Organise the site and use a systematic method of working
We also offer an additional module for battery-powered hand held equipment.
On-site to groups, email firstname.lastname@example.org for a quotation stating how many people you anticipate will attend.
Anyone employed in the agriculture, horticulture, landscaping and grounds maintenance industries that currently operates, or will be required to operate, a brushcutter and/or trimmer.
New dates currently being planned – Use the link below to register your interest.